Sunday 4 February 2018

Getting my skills up in computational geotechnics



Hallo Leute :)

Recently I participated to a 4 days training organized by PLAXIS. PLAXIS is a computer program, which is used by geotechnical engineers. It is a finite element software which can be used for different geotechnical problems such as deformation analysis, stability assessment, groundwater flow and consolidation.

The training venue was close to Schiphol airport, therefore far from the possible distraction of Amsterdam :). I was very surprised that in this training were participating so many people, we were in fourty. It was a very nice group with people from different part of Europe. The participants were from consulting and contracting companies with different background and expertise.

I chose to attend this course because it was mainly focused on the knowledge of soil behavior and advanced methods in geotechnical engineering, therefore it was more theoretical and it will reinforce my basic knowledge on soil mechanics. My research involves the use of PLAXIS therefore was also a good chance so ask some questions :)

Different lectures were held by different Professors such as, Gioacchino Viggiani (Université Joseph Fourier, UJF), Antonio Gens (Technical University of Catalonia, UPC), Prof. Steinar Nordal (Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU), and different Plaxis experts such as Dennis Waterman (Plaxis bv) and Dr Paul Bonnier (Plaxis bv).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The craziest thing I did during my time as a PhD - Becoming a PhDaddy

If you ask me which was the most beautiful thing that happened to me during my PhD, I will most definitely reply: Becoming a father!   J...